Monday, December 24, 2007

Style exploration

Well, it's been a while since my last update... As I was trying to continue to develop the Paleolithic Characters I designed a while ago, I came across a couple of books about African masks. My mom used to have a lot of these books and I remember that as a child I always thought: "Hmmm...why can't she have 'real' Art books..."
It's funny how things change. Browsing through these books today, I find the different designs and textures those artists used fascinating. The simple geometric structure of those masks is so different from anything else and I find it a great source of inspiration.
Anyway, here are a couple of designs I did, inspired by these masks. I tried a more graphic approach on this one, with a heavy use of textures, which I find interesting...









8 comments:

Liron Topaz said...

These are sooooo coool. Such a big step for you. I love the second one. It feels complete, good rhythm, nice unified color, great decisions in their patterns. Really awesome job. Keep it up ;)

Betsy Bauer said...

These turned out so great! The textures are definitely adding the depth you're looking for. :) The second to last is my favorite.

lindsey olivares said...

these are fantastic, a lot of character and style in all of these, I really like the second too. I'm excited to see what you'll do when get goin in ca.

Josh Garlick said...

I hate you Avner.
Your friend,
Josh.


Seriously though, these are sooo beautiful, the fourth one is my favorite. Wawaweewa!

Gordon Pinkerton said...

Dang... looking at these makes me wish I stayed at school over break...


Second one is my favorite. Now make more! haha

Bryan Wynia said...

Really cool work. You have some really amazing skills man. Thanks for sharing!

Francesco Giroldini said...

These are great, nice explorations, nice combination of simple primitive shapes and patterns.. they're very elegant

Furniture Movers Perth Amboy said...

Thoughtful blog thanks for sharing.